Let's face it..!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Das Ist Walter.


I couldn't shake off this desire to write a word about Sarajevo. I've written about Italy and Florence, but there is also a special place in my heart for Sarajevo and the "raja". Who knows what happened to my "raja". We've grown up and gone our separate ways, some more peaceful than others. I don't know how many of them survived that stupid war and how many are in some other country around the World. I know one of my friends ended up in Spain, one has returned to Sarajevo after spending the worst years in Belgrade and, then, there is Goran. When we were visiting Sarajevo during a truce in 1994, I found out that he had just been in a terrible accident. He was helping some British UN soldiers by translating for them, and their vehicle ended up on a mine and blew up. At the time I was there, Goran was in really bad shape. I've never found out if he survived.

I long for walks in Sarajevo, just as much as I long for walks in Florence... As strange as it may sound I've always felt safe in Sarajevo. Safer than in any other place. I never felt the need to look over my shoulder, for any reason. I'm sure it would be somewhat different now.
But I still miss it.

I miss the streets, the people, the music, the smells, kukuruz i cevapcici. Carsija. Marijin Dvor.
Time and the war robbed me of something precious that I will never be able to get back. But I still have my memories and soon enough I WILL go to Sarajevo and create new memories.

My children will never have the wonderful childhood I've had there, and that grieves my heart. They'll have all the comforts this generation and this country can offer, but they won't know pure joy. Pure fun. Pure friendships. Simplicity. And no fear. They will never know that. It is the saddest thing ever. Not being able to truly enjoy life. Being in a cage and not even knowing it. I guess they will not "suffer" because they will not know what they're missing out.. but I do...

Hopefully someday they'll be able to, at least, see Sarajevo and they'll say with me.. "Das Ist Walter".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name: