Let's face it..!

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Beware of hitchhikers. Penitentiary area.

"Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven - for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little"
Luke 7:47

"Percio' io ti dico: i suoi molti peccati le sono perdonati, perche' ha molto amato; ma colui a cui poco e' perdonato, poco ama"
Luca 7:47


For the first time, yesterday, I walked into a maximum security prison to visit an inmate, a lady I met a few months ago and that my husband has known a bit longer. She almost felt embarassed that we had to go visit her in prison, but, contrary to her feelings, I (we) had absolutely no problem with that. It was an encouraging visit and, believe me, the encouragement came from her and not from us.
Wendy and I have had very different lives. What she's been through in her life seems to be on the opposite end of the spectrum from my experience. Her past has been marked by drugs in a lot of ways -- I've always been "clean". She's been in jail before -- I, at most, drive by it occasionally. She's dealt with criminals -- My major infraction may have been cheating in school (I admit it!). HOWEVER - I know and I had it confirmed yesterday that we are really not that much different. We both were and are in need of a Savior. And we are both "smart" enough to realize it and humbly accept Him in our lives. And, so, here we are, so different and at the same time so similar. We both recognized our need to submit to a God who is life-giving and without whom our walk would end up in smoke. In her case quite literally, even here on this earth.

Without God, what is our life anyway? This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind (Ecc. 4:16b) A meaningless chasing after the wind, not the true life, the abundant life, the eternal life promised by Christ. A true life that is independent from circumstances, even from death itself. There is more of that true, eternal life in Wendy in prison, than in a ton of people who are "free", but prisoners of their passions, their vanity, their greed, their lack of hope, their chasing after the wind (and money) toward physical and spiritual death.

Wendy may be in prison, but she is FREE. Truth set her free. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free (John 8:32)

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6)

IN THE LIGHT
(DC Talk)

I keep trying to find a life
On my own apart from you
I am the king of excuses
I've got one for every selfish thing I do

What's going on inside of me?
I despise my own behavior
This only serves to confirm my suspicions
That I'm still a man in need of a Savior

I wanna be in the Light
As You are in the Light
I wanna shine like the stars in the Heavens
Oh Lord be my Light and be my Salvation
Cause all I want is to be in the Light
All I want is to be in the Light

The disease of self runs through my blood
It's a cancer fatal to my soul
Every attempt on my behalf has failed
To bring this sickness under control

Honesty becomes me
(There's nothing left to lose)
The secrets that did run me
(In Your Presence are defused)
Pride has no position
(And riches have no worth)
The fame that once did cover me
(Has been sentenced to this earth)
Has been sentenced to this earth

Wendy is in the Light, she shines like the stars in the Heavens and she's in the Presence of the Almighty. And what a blessing it has been for me to be crossing paths with her.

God bless us. Every one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name: