Let's face it..!

Saturday, April 07, 2007

It takes a village. Sort of.

This internet world is truly amazing. All sort of things can be done through it and it enables you to discover new things almost daily.

Today I found out I can purchase a phone card that would allow me to call Italy, and even cell phones there, much cheaper than any other service (short of going totally free with Skype, another internet benefit)
I discovered that the new George Washington $1 coin is made of 88.5% copper, 6% zinc, 3.5% manganese and 2% nickel.
I read excerpts from that troubled soul that was Anna Nicole Smith (I admit, not a highly cultural reading) and I even read how a french guy who was lost in the French Guyana's forest survived 7 weeks eating turtle (shell and all) and tarantulas. Who would have thought that tarantulas were edible?? (Cindy and Jami, when you find one you know what to do for supper that day)
I've listened to fun music and "walked" through the streets of a place I haven't seen in almost 20 yrs, on YouTube.

The world sure seems smaller.

But the best thing about the internet in the last couple of days has been finding a connection with long lost family.
A couple of days ago my mom's "brother from uncle" (translation: first cousin) has contacted me via email and today I had the chance to talk to him via Skype.
I never met the guy. And still, he's my family. He kept saying "Do you realize how closely related we are???"
As strange as it may seem we are very closely related. In Yugoslavia you consider your first cousins like brothers or sisters. You actually use the term "brother" and "sister", which I understand is common practice in certain cultures (even in Jesus' time) -- so he would be sort of an uncle to me.
It's been such a blessing to talk to him and his wife! When I got his email I almost started crying. There is a different connection among the members of my eastern European family. A special connection in which blood is truly not water. It doesn't really matter that we've never met before. We are FAMILY. That's all it matters... (and you thought that the concept of "Family" was more of an "Italian Mafia" idea!)

When I came back from Italy last summer, I pointed out what a blessing it had been to reconnect with family I didn't have a strong connection with for a long time. I was reminded of that today.
I so wish to go visit them soon. I haven't seen even my "brothers" and "sisters" (with whom I have kept regularly in touch) for almost a dozen years.

It is time to change that.

nat

P.S. I would like to publicly thank Mr. Al Gore for inventing the internet. This tool has been a great blessing to me and I am very grateful for the opportunity to use it. It is a pity that in a few decades it will all melt. At least you tried your best, Mr. Gore. In the meantime, thanks again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Well, I was getting all mushy after reading what you wrote, and then your p.s. totally cracked me up! You are hilarious!

(And I'm glad for your connections with family! Maybe Drazen and Earl could take off a couple of weeks and keep the kids, and you and I could take a trip together...)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

I am all for it! I mean, the trip together. I think it would be a lot of fun. Let's seriously consider it, what do you say?
The only thing I don't know for sure is if I could stay away from the kids for 2 weeks.. A week I think I could handle.. but two? But if you twist my arm you may convince me.
I am still thinking about the April 28th retreat. I'll let you know.
ttyl

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name: