Let's face it..!

Thursday, March 29, 2007

The not-so-lost coin

"Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Does she not light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin'" (Luke 15:8-9)

My almost 7 yr old daughter managed to swallow a $1 coin last night.

I know, it sounds crazy. She put the coin in her mouth (?????) and for whatever reason leaned back and the thing went straight down. Spare me the "What in the world was she thinking?" because I sure don't have an answer and she doesn't seem to have one either. I guess it's an age thing. I mean, not the putting strange stuff in your mouth, but not having an idea whatsoever on the reason they do stupid things (Bill Cosby's "I don't knoow")
All sort of emotions have been swirling around inside me. Concern, fear, anger, thankfulness (that it didn't get stuck in her exophagus) and then concern, anger, fear and thankfulness again.

I am not at all good at learning or recognizing spiritual lessons in everyday (so to speak) happenings, but I've tried to think of something in this situation. No great success followed, though. In fact I may even have more doubts about my faith and prayer now than I had yesterday.. and that is why I heavily rely on the prayers of people around me who definitely have more faith than me. May the Lord listen to them.

However, I do think that all this could be an image of how sin works in our lives. Let's say the coin is sin.
We can put it in our mouth and we know we're not supposed to, but it's no big deal, right? We sure don't intend to swallow it! But, then one wrong movement and the thing is inside of us! Worst case scenario it chokes us to death. If it doesn't it kill us right then, it goes easily down and stays there for whatever time. Best case scenario, it comes out eventually with a bunch of other nasty stuff we had inside. But, there is another possible scenario. The coin gets stuck inside and not only that, but it also prevents the other nasty stuff from coming out. Well... At that point there is only one solution -- the knife ("For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart", Hebrews 4:12)
As much as people around love us they cannot do anything to make the coin get out of us. They sure can't convince us to push it out. We either do it on our own, or we wait for the intervention of the great physician (which are ultimately the same thing with different degrees of pain).

Cindy, am I overspiritualizing? Probably not, just plain rambling. That's what happens when you don't sleep much at night and when you do sleep you have dreams about your child having to go through surgery.

For those who know us and know the Lord, please pray for Juniper, that she won't have to do surgery. And may we rejoice in finding the coin like the woman in Jesus' parable did (I hope I don't sound blaspheme!)

Shalom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name: