Let's face it..!

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Feelings

How does God view feelings?

We seem to have such a hard time knowing God's feelings about feelings..

On one hand there is the "feelings are ok and even desirable, especially if they are tender feelings toward God Himself". And it's almost like faith gains something with those feelings, and it probably does. But, is faith less faith if you don't have those feelings?

On the other hand there is the "feelings are basically wrong and you can't rely on them to base your beliefs and your life". But, is your life any better without feelings?

And then, there is a "third hand".. what do you do with feelings you know are not right, but you can't stop feeling them?
And, most importantly, how does God view those ones? Does He condemn them? And if so, why? Is there really anybody capable to control their feelings to that point? Is that our goal?
Will we go to Hell if we don't feel the way we're "supposed" to? Can you ask forgiveness - and be forgiven - for something you know was wrong, but you don't feel it was?

I don't know.

Cind and I were sort of talking about it this morning and we don't seem to have an answer.

The thing is, I just don't know how not to feel something, be it good or bad.

I think the only way is His intervention. Both to decipher the good and bad and to eliminate the bad.
Therefore, we're talking about miraculous intervention.
And miraculous is His line of work, so we've got hope.

I guess that's my answer, Cind. Can't offer anything better.


May He intervene in our lives.

navide

2 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

I can offer a good book...The Cry of the Soul, by Dan Allender. He shows how all of our feelings have origins in the image of God, but also have been warped by sin. It's one of the better things I've read about emotions from a Christian perspective.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

Thanks, I'll try to remember that book.

Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list. Oh, right, I don't have a Christmas list...
Maybe, then, this will be a HINT, HINT for some generous soul reading this blog..

Just kidding, of course!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to get ahold of the book.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name: